Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Start of disc golf in my life.

Welcome back.

I would like to share with you my introduction to disc golf.

Queens College
 In 1985 I was in bording school at Queens College in Queenstown South Africa. I was in Whitson house and one of the matric boys introduced us to the sport of frisbee golf. He had written away to somebody in America and had a special black frisbee that he could use. We used to play around the hostel. I trully enjoyed the sport.

Forward 23 years to 2008 and I had become a teacher of Life Orientation. Included in this subject are life skills, counselling, career guidance, religious education, citizenship and physical activity. When I was trying to prepare to teach I looked up frisbee golf on the internet and discovered that it had evolved into a fully fledged sport with professional players.

I bought some cheap (really rubish) frisbees and introduced the sport to the learners. They enjoyed it.... But the one who got trully hooked was myself.

I set up a course at school and included disc golf in my grade 8 curriculum.( I believe we are still the only school in Africa which does this; if not let me know)

I wrote away in an effort to get the disc's I had seen on the internet and the very kind people from Clearwater Disc Golf Store in Florida U.S.A organized a competition where we were donated more than 30 second hand discs. Thank you very much to Joe G and everybody involved. Watch this blog for photo's.

We got more and more people involved. I started a disc golf club called Maritzburg Shunters and we developed two courses in town. We do not have proper baskets and aim for trees and wooden poles, but we can play full length holes with propper discs. I love it!!

Later, in a effort to develop the sport more I wrote away for further assistance. Ching discs in the U.S.A. came with an amazing offer. They had created a Line of discs that had a mistake in the manufacturing and they become slippery when wet, but are otherwise perfect. The deal was that if I payed for the postage Holgate would send me 300 discs. This was so very generous. I have a very kind and generous investor who sponsored the postage and so now i have enough discs to launch the sport in a significant way in Kwa-Zulu Natal.

I have also made contact with the people from the South African Disc Golf Association in JHB and they are also a big encouragement. I have managed to get my school Heritage Academy to buy a basket from them and so we will soon have a real basket to practise into.

It appears that everything is comming together nicely and soon disc golf will take South Africa by storm.
I have also discovered that of all the discs I have used, that the Ching Legacy is the disc that gives me the most control and ability to manipulate its flight without sacrificing distance. I love this disc

Next weekend I am taking a group of schoolkids up to Swinburne for a disc golf and ultimate tournament. It is so exciting. The sport is taking off.

If you have any queries please contact me.

Once I know how to add links and photo's I will add them.

Thanks for reading, have a great day

No comments:

Post a Comment